Total compensation awarded by the State Body last year increased by 3.9 per cent to €217.9m last year. The highest award last year was almost €700,000 while the average award was some €21,000.
The board has also raised concern that serious injuries from road traffic accidents were being “grossly understated”. It has suggested enhanced data sharing to the HSE, the Garda and the Road Safety Authority.
The details were contained in the 2012 annual report of The Injuries Board which is the Government body which makes personal injury awards.
Some other interesting facts on accident claims and compensation in Ireland are :-
* Consistent with reduced numbers at work, work related claims reduced by 1%
* County Limerick had the largest number of awards as a proportion of population with County Kilkenny having the lowest number of awards per head of population. So for another year in a row (just like “All-Ireland” hurling titles!) Kilkenny comes out with the lowest claims per head of population.
* For 2012, No. of new injury Claims was 28,962 with the No. of Awards 10,136
* Total Value of Awards €217.94m
* Average Award €21,502
– a law article by Kilkenny Solicitors Holland Condon