Is the insurance industry dishonest ?
December 16, 2019
Computers to replace solicitors
February 12, 2020
Show all

Fraudulent injury compensation claim withdrawn from High Court

30th January, 2020

THE Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland has described the withdrawal of a personal injury claim in the High Court as a “victory for putting suspicious claims to the test”.

The MIBI was defending a personal injury claim lodged by a man residing in Lusk, Co Dublin who alleged he was involved in an accident with an unknown vehicle in June 2016.

The MIBI said that the man claimed that he required a wheelchair and crutches following the incident.

Video footage showed him walking with crutches and using a wheelchair. However, it also showed him on two occasions walking – once to his car while holding the wheelchair.

Constantin Iosca, 40, withdrew a High Court action earlier this week against the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) over the alleged incident, after the presiding Judge adjourned the case in order for him to consider the video footage !!

Costs were awarded to the MIBI. The MIBI is a not for profit organisation that was established to compensate victims of road traffic accidents caused by uninsured and unidentified vehicles.

Speaking following the conclusion of the case, the MIBI’s Chief Executive David Fitzgerald said: “This is a victory for putting suspicious claims to the test. Thanks to a comprehensive investigation, we were able to provide evidence which strongly rebutted the claim being made. We will now be referring the details of this case to the gardaí.

Let’s hope this man is charged and punished for this fraud. Claims like this affect all genuine claimants and increase the cost of insurance. It must not be tolerated. One wonders should the Judge not have punished the man there and then after seeing the video !